0161 928 3276



We understand our clients

How to Declare Foreign Income

Newsletter issue - October 07.

When you live in the UK you must declare all of your taxable income on your tax return form, including any foreign income; such as rents from overseas properties, interest from off-shore bank accounts or dividends from foreign companies. Some people believe that foreign income does not have to be shown on a UK tax return, because the basic tax return form and the short version tax return form do not have boxes for foreign income, but it does.

If you receive any sort of foreign income you need to answer question 6 on page 2 of the tax return and complete the foreign income pages, which have a pale green tab top. These extra pages can be ordered from HMRC. If you normally complete your own tax return online, reporting foreign income can cause a problem, as the tax return software provided free by the Taxman does not currently support the foreign income pages. In this case you need to use some third party software to complete the foreign income pages or complete your whole tax return on paper instead of online or just let us do it all for you.

There is an alternative if your foreign income consists of less than £300 of dividends from an overseas company such as Bank Santander (who own Abbey National Bank). In this case you can enter the foreign dividends in box 5.5 on short form tax return form, or on page 3 of your tax return form, even on the online version. There will be no difference in the tax you pay as a basic rate taxpayer, but as a higher rate taxpayer you will not get the full benefit of the overseas tax deducted from the dividends.

If you receive other types of foreign income, you must complete the foreign income pages to report the gross amounts and any expenses to set against the income, even if the money has not been paid into a UK bank account. If you have the special 'non-domicile' status (see below) you are not taxed on foreign income that is kept outside of the UK, but you must still make a special claim for this treatment to apply on your tax return each year.

If you feel you have incorrectly declared foreign income in the past and so potentially liable to tax, interest and penalties please speak to us about the best way to deal with this.


To work Smarter in your Business Contact Beauchamp Charles

Contact Us

"Join our newsletter for hints, tips and tax advice"


What our clients say

Dakins Property Services

Great Results, Personable, High Integrity

Choice Events Limited

All at Beauchamp Charles are very helpful, approachable and easy to talk to. They keep me informed with key dates; I can feel totally confident that I won't ever miss any deadlines! Whoever I deal with, always deal with matters professionally and efficiently and if they are unavailable they get back to me promptly.

FT leisure Ltd

I have worked with Beauchamp Charles as our management accountants for over 20 years and have never received anything less than exceptional service. Their approach is both professional and personal. Finances and particularly tax strategies are a minefield for small businesses; Beauchamp Charles have in-depth knowledge of these area, which is comforting. They pay very close attention to our business activities and have provided financial strategies that have helped our company develop.

Fredrick Thomas Electrical and Maintenance

We have used Beauchamp Charles since company formation back in 1998. Beauchamp Charles offers us a one to one service as they are small enough to offer this dedicated service and large enough to do the work and offer best advice. They get to know us as individuals and a business, always giving sound advice. Frederick Thomas Electrical are in a stronger place thanks to the service we get from them.

Barnes Walker Landscapes Limited

We are a small business and had employed the same accountancy firm for many years. Two years ago we took the decision to switch to Beauchamp Charles after several othe local businesses recommended them very highly to us. We have not been disappointed with the service they have provided to us over these last two years.